Sustainable Energy Resources
- Sustainable Energy Without The Hot Air. The free online version of this excellent textbook = a solid foundation for sustainable energy technology and sources.
- Evans (2007): Fueling Our Future – An Introduction To Sustainable Energy. This short and inexpensive book provides a concise overview how our reliance on fossil fuels can be changed to a more sustainable energy system.
- Mulller (2012): Energy for Future Presidents. Excellent overall book covering energy science and policies.
- Dresner (2008): The Principles of Sustainability. This is perhaps the best available ‘big-picture book’ on sustainability and attempts to define the characteristics of a sustainable and equitable society.
The Physics of Energy
- The Essentials of Energy (5:21 video)
Sustainable Energy Technology
- Near Zero: Expert information on technology
- Energy Literacy (US DOE)
- Clean Energy (Union of Concerned Scientists)
- Clean Vehicles (Union of Concerned Scientists)
- Electric Vehicles (infographic at energy.gov)
- Electric Cars by Range (infographic)
- Nuclear Power (Union of Concerned Scientists)
- Biofuel (infographic)
- Energy-Efficient Homes (infographic)
- The Different Types of Energy (infographic)
- Household Energy Use in the USA (infographic)
- Combined Heat and Power (infographic at energy.gov)
- The Energy of Tomorrow (infographic)
- Wind (animated infographic)
- Wave Energy (animation)
- Top-10 Solar States (infographic)
- Your Solar House (infographic)
- Topaz Solar Farm (CA)
- Project Sunroof (by Google)
- US Urban Solar Potential
- The Geothermal Technologies Office
- Mapping Geothermal Heat Flow
- Enhanced Geothermal Systems (infographic)
- Enhanced Geothermal Systems (MIT news)
The Smart Grid
- Nuclear Power in Georgia (animated infographic)
- Nuclear Power to combat climate change (video)
- TED.com: Does the world need nuclear energy?
Sustainable Energy Policies – Solutions
- A Carbon-Free World and A Carbon-Free America (details from Stanford)
- A Path to Sustainable Energy by 2030 (Scientific American)
- The Solutions Project
- Jacobsen and Delucchi (2011)
- Delucchi and Jacobson (2011)
- Stabilization Wedges
- A Plan to Keep Carbon in Check
- Ramping Up Renewables (infographic)
- The Bottom-Up Revolution!
GHG and Carbon Emissions / Global Warming
- Energy Supply with Negative Carbon Emissions
- EU Greenhouse Gas Emissions (infographic)
- 2015 World Energy Outlook: Energy and Climate Change
- Tight Oil and Shale Gas: Fracking Yes or No?
- Shale Gas in the USA (infographic)
- The World’s Largest Oil Companies (infographic)
- Peak Oil vs. Peak Oil USA
- Oil Demand and Depletion Model
- How the world uses coal (interactive infographic)
- 14 Carbon Hot Spots (interactive infographic)
Carbon Capture and Storage
- Geologic carbon storage potential in the USA (USGS)
- MIT Carbon Capture and Sequestration Program
- Carbon Capture And Storage: Global Warming Panacea, Or Fossil Fuel Pipe Dream?
Energy Use and Data
- What happens if we burned all the fossil fuels we have?
- GIS Maps and Data from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Infographic: Energy Use 2001 vs. 2012 for 7 major global economies (more @ visual.ly)
- Which countries are using what in 2011 and how much!
- What You Need To Know About Energy. An exellent website about energy by the National Academies.
- Energy Sources and Energy Types (infographic)
- Carbon Mitigation Initiative. Princeton’s Carbon Mitigation Initiative – great resources, including the famous Stabilization Wedges Concept and Game.
- Earth Policy Institute Data Center. The data center of the Earth Policy Institute – energy, transportation, food, population, health, economy, and more.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. Information and official data on global and national energy sources and uses.
- Energy Use in MA and other states (nice interactive web maps)
- The 2050 Webtool: Create your own energy pathway!
- Energy Flow Charts (different years, states, and countries, by LLNL)
Movies and Videos
- Earth: The Operators’ Manual. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- Fuel. A documentary of America’s overwhelming addiction to, and reliance on, oil.
- The Story of Cap and Trade. If you’ve heard about cap and trade, but aren’t sure how it works (or who benefits), this is the film is for you!
- Cape Spin. A documentary about the battle over Cape Wind, America’s first offshore windfarm.
- Heat. A PBS Frontline investigation into America’s energy landscape.