Need to write, talk, or present a poster? This is a good place to get ideas and help.
- Pechenik: A Short Guide to Writing About Biology (useful not just for Biology!)
- Schultz: Eloquent Science
- MIT Press: Learning to Communicate in Science and Engineering
- Yau: Data Points – Visualization That Means Something
- Schwabish: Better Presentations
- Nussbaumer Knaflic: Storytelling with Data
- Jerry’s Tips: How to write essays
- How to Write an Essay (infographic)
- The Purdue Owl Citation Chart (MLA, APA, CMS)
- How to write a paper in scientific style and format
- Writing Lab Reports and Scientific Papers
- Better Paper Writing
- 10 Writing Tips and their Psychology (chart)
- Paper Checklist
- Turbocharge your writing today (Nature, 7 July 2011)
- Writing a paper for publication
- Source Evaluation Cheat Sheet!
- General grading policy for written work
- Write a better report using 1:3:25 model
- (How to) Design of an Award Winning Report
Talking and Presenting.
- Jerry’s Top Ten PowerPoint tips
- Jerry’s Top Ten Presentation tips
- Better Presentations (Nature, 21 February 2013)
- Edward Tufte: The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint
- Peer Evaluation Checklist for Presentations
- Using PowerPoint Effectively (image only)
- Animations and Layering in MS PowerPoint
- Better Tables!
- Cheat Sheet for Public Speaking
- Common Speaking Mistakes To Avoid (Robert Kosara)
- The 20-Minute Edward Tufte Boot Camp
- 10 Tips to become a PowerPoint Genius
- Create the Ultimate PowerPoint Presentation
- Beyond Bullet Points (by Cliff Atkinson)
- Storytelling with Data (by Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic)
- Better Presentations (by Jonathan Schwabish)
- Easy, Simple One Page Handout (to accompany your presentation)
- Effective Research Posters (24:35 minutes)
- Designing a better poster
- Designing conference posters (includes templates!)
- Scientific Posters
- Peer Evaluation Checklist for Posters
- Prepare Yourself For A Poster Presentation
- Lead the poster parade!
- Make awesome academic posters! (6-part video series)
- Creating a Stunning Scientific Poster – Best Practices
Infographics and Visualizations.
- The infographic!
- What is an infographic?
- The Art of Data Visualization
- Create your own infographics with infogr.am
- Create your own infographics with visual.ly
- Or, try IBM Many Eyes
- Selecting the best chart type for your data (I)
- Selecting the best chart type for your data (II)
- 6 Guidelines for scientific data visualization
- The Data Viz Catalogue: what chart works for what?
- Pies vs. Bars (when to use what!)
- The Chart Choosing Tool (by Ann K. Emery)
Images and Photographs.